Breaking News

Arsenal confirm US tour withdrawal amid COVID concerns

Arsenal have withdrawn from their U.S. tour after a string of positive COVID tests at the scheduled party, which was due to depart on Thursday.

The Gunners were scheduled to compete in the Florida Cup with games against Inter on July 25 and Everton or Millonarios on July 28 in Orlando.

Arsenal said in a statement that the “tough decision” was based on ensuring the health and well-being of the club’s players and staff.

“We fully understand what a disappointment this is for our fans in America, who looked forward to seeing us compete in the Florida Cup as part of our preparation for the season,” the statement said.

“We also apologize to the Florida Cup organizers, who did a fantastic job preparing it, and to our partners who arranged events related to our participation in the competition.

“We are pleased to announce that the employees are currently not showing any symptoms of COVID. You are now in self-isolation at home.

“We are now making alternative arrangements in accordance with Premier League protocols to continue our preparations for the new season.”

Arsenal, who drew 2-2 to Rangers and lost 2-1 to Hibernian in Scotland last week, will begin their Premier League season against Brentford on August 22nd.

Mikel Arteta has strengthened his squad this off-season with Nuno Tavares from Benfica and Albert Sambi Lokonga from Arsenal.

David Luiz was sacked while William Saliba and Matteo Guendouzi were both loaned to Olympique Marseille.

Leave a Reply