Breaking News

World Cup qualification 2022: Ghana takes important victory as Morocco and Senegal extend perfect starts

With a home win against Zimbabwe in the first game of Milovan Rajevac’s second term, Ghana got their bid for the 2022 World Cup back on track.

The Black Stars, who lost to Group G rivals South Africa last month, won 3-1 in Cape Coast thanks to goals from Mohammed Kudus, Thomas Partey and Andre Ayew.

Ghana are six points behind leaders South Africa after Bafana Bafana beat Ethiopia the previous Saturday.

Elsewhere, Senegal and Morocco extended their 100% starts to bolster their positions in Group H and Group I, respectively.

Only the 10 group winners will move into the play-offs next March to determine the five representatives of the continent in Qatar.

  • Black Stars are keeping up with Bafana Bafana

Rajevac led Ghana to the quarter-finals of the 2010 World Cup and the Serb began his second appearance with three important points after being reappointed last month with a one-year contract.

Kudus gave the Black Stars the lead in the fifth minute with a low shot from just outside the box, but Zimbabwe Captain Knowledge Musona defeated debut goalkeeper Jojo Wollacott with a penalty to equalize after four minutes in the second half.

Arsenal midfielder Partey shot to 2-1 into the lower left corner in the 66th minute, and Ayew’s down header ended the goal three minutes from time.

A home win was decisive for Ghana after that South Africa had hit Ethiopia 3-1 in Bahir Dar.

Home goalkeeper Fasil Gebremikael missed a Teboho Mokoena free kick in added time of the first half and brought South Africa to break.

Getaneh Kebede equalized with a nice free kick for Ethiopia in the middle of the second period, but Mothobi Mvala gave Bafana Bafana the lead after a long throw 19 minutes before the end.

Evidence Makgopa invited the goalkeeper to make the game safe for the guests in added time after he got off the bench.

Hugo Broos’ team, which failed to qualify for the Africa Cup, will host Ethiopia on Tuesday while Ghana travel to Harare.

  • Morocco march on, while Guinea are again tied

Elsewhere, Morocco easy to 3-0 victory over Guinea-Bissau in Casablanca.

Ayoub El Kaabi and Aymen Barkok gave the Atlas Lions a 2-0 lead at half-time and El Kaabi finished second with 20 minutes remaining.

Morocco beat Guinea-Bissau 5-0 on Wednesday and Vahid Halilhodzic’s men now have nine points from three games in Group I.

In the meantime, Guineas The hopes of progressing to the playoffs were weakened again with a 2-2 draw Sudanwho can no longer qualify.

In a game in Agadir, Morocco, following last month’s coup in Guinea, Jose Kante gave Syli National the lead three minutes into the second half with a heavy left foot.

Substitute Ahmed Hamid equalized the Sudanese in the 64th minute, but Guinea restored the lead three minutes later when Mohamed Bayo struck after a one-on-one.

But defender Amir Kamal headed a second equalizer for Sudan two minutes before the end and secured the second tie between the teams within four days.

All three Guinea games have ended in a draw and Didier Six will have to beat Morocco in their clash in Agadir on Tuesday for a chance to take the top spot.

  • Mane is on the top scorer list for Senegal

In group H, Senegal defeat the closest challengers Namibia 4-1 in Thies to build a five-point cushion against the Brave Warriors.

Idrissa Gueye and Famara Diedhiou scored for the Lions of Teranga in the first half and Liverpool striker Sadio Mane added a third 10 minutes after the restart.

Joslin Kamatuka made a deficit for the guests 15 minutes before the end, but Keita Balde restored the three-goal cushion in the 84th minute.

Senegal has the maximum number of points from three games and faces Namibia in Johannesburg on Tuesday.

In the meantime, Go and Congo After a 1-1 draw, both countries are without a win after three games and face the end.

An own goal by Alaixys Romao gave the Congo the lead at the break in Lome, but Euloge Placca Fessou scored with a massive half-volley to equalize eleven minutes after the restart.

Congo’s Guy Mbenza hit the crossbar with a header, but the Red Devils had to settle for one point and dismissed goalkeeper Christoffer Mafoumbi after the final whistle.

Source: BBC Africa

Leave a Reply