Breaking News

Moore secures three important points

Wales secured a valuable World Cup qualifier win against Estonia when Kieffer Moore gave them a 1-0 win in Tallinn.

Cardiff striker Moore, who was later suspended and suspended for next month’s home game against Belarus, shot home from close range after 12 minutes.

In the race for second place behind Belgium and the associated play-off places in March, Wales remains third in Group E behind the Czech Republic.

READ MORE: ‘Andorra gone’ doesn’t help anyone … least of all Andorra and Co

The Czechs beat Belarus 2-0 to increase their superior goal difference and Wales may still have to rely on Nations League success to confirm their play-offs.

Robert Page promised to choose an offensive line-up as Wales have lower goal difference and goals than the Czech Republic, the first two deciding factors in the event of a tie.

The Welsh coach kept his word to Connor Roberts and Harry Wilson, and Huddersfield’s Sorba Thomas made his first start nine months after playing in the National League for Boreham Wood.

All three had impressed from the bench in the 2-2 draw against the Czech Republic on Friday and goalkeeper Danny Ward received a vote of confidence after his disastrous own goal in Prague.

Page had stated that Wales would attack from the start to avoid a repeat of the Cardiff stalemate in September when Arsenal youth Karl Hein proved unbeatable at the Estonian goal.

Estonia had to make a late move when captain Konstantin Vassiljev injured himself in the warm-up and Markus Poom – son of former Derby and Sunderland goalkeeper Mart – was promoted from the bench.

Ward had an immediate chance to make amends for his Prague Howler when Taijo Teniste tested him on a sling drive within 40 seconds.

Estonia’s rustic approach resulted in Wilson clattering twice in the first substitutions and the Fulham striker rolling a free kick over the top.

Hein pushed aside a fine attempt by Roberts before Moore’s seventh international goal gave Wales the lead.

Sergei Zenjov’s goal-line defense prevented Aaron Ramsey after a pinball in the Estonian penalty area, but Moore was on hand to throw the ball home from a meter away.

Moore almost doubled the lead with a sweet flick on the near post.

But Wales were lucky enough to escape when Wilson played a square pass over his own goal.

Zenjov’s efforts were touched by Ward and Joe Rodon completed the release on the line to protect Wales’ advantage.

In an increasingly fierce competition that resulted in seven bookings, Wales had another major slip five minutes into the second period.

Poom’s superbly executed free kick was hit just six yards from Erik Sorga’s head, but Ward was relieved when the ball went just over the bar.

Wales might have received a penalty when Moore was extended by Marten Kuusk’s rowing arm.

The evidence seemed clear when Moore’s nose was bloody, but the game continued after a VAR review with a free kick that was actually awarded to Estonia.

Wales were far from comfortable in defense and Ward put in an outstanding fingertip save to prevent substitute Vlasiy Sinyavskiy from equalizing.

But the guests persevered and now have to try to overtake the Czech Republic with final home games against Belarus and Belgium.

Leave a Reply