Real Betis midfielder Nabil Fekir has opened his failed move to Liverpool and left talks with Jürgen Klopp.
Fekir was on the verge of joining Liverpool from Lyon in 2018 but the move did not materialize in the closing stages. Some reports surfaced that the failed move was due to medical issues, but Fekir says the deal didn’t go through out of concern over a knee injury he had.
The Frenchman then moved to Real Betis the following year and last month the midfielder claimed it was his agent who prevented his dream move to Liverpool.
In his most recent interview with BetisTV, the 28-year-old says he had conversations with Klopp before agreeing to join the Reds from Lyon.
“Everything was closed,” he said.
“I passed all interviews, I spoke to Jürgen Klopp, he told me that he loved me, we all did it and when we wanted to sign, there were problems with my representative and the negotiations collapsed.”
“They said I had knee problems, but the truth has been proven over time. My knee is super good.”
Read more: Nabil Fekir opens up in the “dark moment” after the failed move to Liverpool
Nabil Fekir has more chances than any other player in the top 5 leagues in Europe this season. ✨ pic.twitter.com/CdKuQI9NqW
– Squawka soccer (@Squawka) October 4, 2021